How can we protect and preserve our water resources?
Queensland has roughly 68 large dams, 261 small surface water storage's and 179 large river systems.
Over 60% of Queensland is currently in drought.
The Great Artesian Basin covers 1.7 million sq km and holds 64 cubic kilolitres.
Water demand is increasing with population growth, changes in economic growth and pollution.
1. Water use and monitoring - https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/water
2. Queensland Globe - https://qldglobe.information.qld.gov.au/
3. Water Catchments and Planning - https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/mining-energy-water/water/catchments-planning
4. WaterQ – A 30 year strategy - http://www.agriculture.gov.au/water/national/great-artesian-basin
5. Great Artesian Basin - http://www.agriculture.gov.au/water/national/great-artesian-basin
6. Dams and water storages 1990 - https://data.gov.au/dataset/ds-ga-a05f7892-b795-7506-e044-00144fdd4fa6/details?q=water
7. Water planning framework - https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/mining-energy-water/water/catchments-planning/planning
8. DNRME Water Plan Map - https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/online-applications/water-for-queensland/map
9. Rural Water Management Program - https://www.dnrme.qld.gov.au/land-water/initiatives/rural-water-management
10. Water Pollution - https://environment.des.qld.gov.au/water/monitoring/
Eligibility We suggest you consider using the Queensland Government open datasets on https://data.qld.gov.au/
Entry: Challenge entry is available to all teams in Australia.
Registered recycled water schemes
Ambient estuarine water quality monitoring data (includes near real-time sites) - 2012 to present day
Queensland water and sewerage service provider key performance indicator data 2017/18
Referable dams register
Queensland subterranean aquatic fauna database
Coastal Data System – Near real time wave data
Coastal Data System - Historical wave data
Hydrographic features - Queensland series
Marine pollution data
Hydrological connectivity of the pre-clear landscape to the Great Barrier Reef V1.6
Groundwater Database - Queensland
Land use mapping series
Queensland borehole series
Watercourse identification map - Queensland series
Drainage basins Queensland
Geographic features - Queensland series
Coastline and State Border - Queensland
NDRP Storm Tide Hazard Interpolation series
Water resource management features - Queensland series
River Improvement Trust areas - Queensland
Water monitoring network - surface water quantity - Queensland
SILO climate database - evaporation - class A pan
Drainage divisions Queensland
Climatic regions for stormwater management design objectives - Queensland
Surat cumulative management area
Reef catchment modelling results